Insights & advice

How Can I Afford To Pay A Solicitor To Make A Personal Injury Claim?

A Guide To Affording a Solicitor for a Personal Injury Claim | Middletons Solicitors

There is no doubt that being involved in an accident, whether it is a road accident or an accident at work, is very upsetting. This upset and stress becomes even more amplified if you are injured in the accident.
Your injuries may mean that you are unable to work for a period of time which could lead to financial problems and you may need treatment to recover from your injuries which could leave you out of pocket as a result.
Most people are aware that making a compensation claim for injuries is a possibility, however for many, the thought of the cost of a solicitor is off putting, especially when you are already in pain from your injuries and potentially struggling financially without any income.

There are a number of different ways in which you can fund a personal injury claim without having to pay a penny to your solicitor up front and it is worth investigating these options before deciding whether to make a claim.
Your first option is a no win, no fee agreement which you will have certainly heard advertised on daytime television. The correct name for this is a Conditional Fee Agreement or CFA and this agreement clarifies a number of things. The first is that if you win your claim most of your legal fees will be paid for by the losing side. They will also pay your compensation and any expenses or costs you have incurred as a result of your injuries.
If you lose your claim, you would normally be liable for the legal costs of the winning party; however, these costs will be paid for with an additional insurance policy known as an After The Event insurance policy, or ATE. Your solicitor will not ask for any payment for their work on your claim either which means you are completely protected when making a personal injury claim.

Since a change in the law last year, if you win your claim there are now certain legal costs which cannot be recovered from the losing party and you will need to pay these yourself. You should not allow this to stop you from claiming though. Your solicitor will wait until your claim is settled and you have your compensation award before asking for these costs.

It really is worth speaking to a specialist solicitor if you have been injured in an accident to find out if you can make a claim for compensation.
For more information about this article or any aspect of our accident and injury claims services, please call Jenny McKckellar on 01373 865577 or  email  and we will be delighted to help you (there is no charge for initial telephone discussions).

We provide client focussed legal advice and assistance.

Our solicitors strive to deliver the best advice and assistance and an outstanding customer experience.

We serve our customers right the way across Wiltshire and Hampshire with offices in Warminster, Amesbury and Stockbridge.

Enquire about our services today.

Just a short note to once again express my sincere thanks to you, Sue and the M&U team, for all your help, cooperation and first class professional support. I am most grateful to you all.

Chris Stephenson, Warminster

Middletons Solicitors uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue we assume that you consent to receive all cookies on this website.